Your office is your sanctuary for getting things done – and it needs to be comfortable as well as conducive to work. If you are finding it difficult to focus, stay on task or just get a days worth of work done, you may be missing out on some of the tools that make it much easier! Whether you have a cubicle or an insanely large office with a view, there are 10 things every single office needs to have:
- A wall clock. People waste a lot of time because they pay zero attention to how it is passing. The tiny clock at the bottom of your computer screen is not enough – you need to pay attention to the time so that you aren’t wasting it.
- A notepad within reach. Every time you have a phone conversation, you should be taking notes. The last thing you want is to forget vital information or forget to save a phone number.
- Water. While it is common for offices to be overloaded with coffee, it can make you jittery and actually lose focus. Best to stay hydrated with water!
- Personal photo. Having a great picture of your friends or family will keep you smiling on those tough days
- A secret stash of something sweet. Sometimes you just need a little pick me up…my recommendation? Mini snickers. They are delicious and will curb hunger.
- Stapler and Tape. This may seem silly and low tech, and it is rare not to find them in an office…but go a week without either and you’ll see why they are needed.
- Music. Whether it’s Windows Media Player or your iPod, music is a great way to help you stay focused and enjoy your day. Just make sure it’s at a volume that won’t disturb your neighbors.
- A quality chair. There is nothing worse than a sore back or butt from sitting in a bad chair every day. Invest in a good one!
- File Organizer. Keeping a clean desk will help you to stay more organized and more effective.
- A large computer screen. No more staring at small outdated computer screens – it is bad for your eyes and worse for your focus!
What do you have in your office that you couldn’t live without?